2000–2001 Annual Report
W. Raymond JohnsonW. Raymond Johnson completed his twenty-second year working for the Epigraphic Survey in Luxor, and his fourth season as Field Director. In November he supervised a sixth (and final) short season of documentation work for the Egypt Exploration Society at the small Ptah temple in Memphis, where he finished the studying and recording of limestone blocks of Nebmaatre Amenhotep III reused by Ramesses II, for publication in the Egypt Exploration Society’s Survey of Memphis series.
Ray gave the keynote address this year at the annual Fulbright Binational Commission 51st Anniversary Alumni Dinner on 2 November in Cairo on the history and ongoing preservation work of Chicago House in Luxor (“Chicago and Luxor: Partners in Preservation, 1924-2000”). Ray also gave a talk at the Michael C. Carlos Museum, Emory University, Atlanta, on “New Kingdom Sculpture in the Thalassic Collection” currently on exhibit there. Ray contributed five entries this winter (numbers 8, 9, 10, 11, and 14) to the catalog of the exhibition, The Collector’s Eye: Masterpieces of Egyptian Art from the Thalassic Collection (Atlanta, 2001).
In June, Ray was notified that the Board of Governors of the German Institute of Archaeology has elected him a Corresponding Member of the German Institute of Archaeology. There will be a presentation ceremony in Cairo on Winckelmannday, 19 December 2001.
Revised: July 30, 2007