Studies in Ancient Oriental Civilization (SAOC)
Gold of Praise: Studies on Ancient Egypt in Honor of Edward F. Wente.
E. Teeter and J. A. Larson, eds.
This Festschrift in honor of Prof. Edward F. Wente contains contributions by forty-three of his colleagues and friends.
- Studies in Ancient Oriental Civilization 58
- Chicago: The Oriental Institute, 1999
- ISBN 1-885923-09-0
- Pp. xxxi + 494, 140 figures, 7 tables
- Paperbound 9 x 11.75 in / 23 x 30 cm
- Contributors and Contributions:
- C. E. Jones "Publications and Communications of Edward F. Wente"
- J. P. Allen "A Monument of Khaemwaset Honoring Imhotep"
- J. Baines "Feuds or Vengeance? Rhetoric and Social Forms"
- J. von Beckerath "Theban Seventeenth Dynasty"
- E. Brovarski "Inventory Offering Lists and the Nomenclature for Boxes and Chests in the Old Kingdom"
- L. H. Corcoran "A Case for Narrativity: Gilt Stucco Mummy Cover in the Graeco-Roman Museum, Alexandria, Inv. 27808"
- E. Cruz-Uribe "Opening of the Mouth as Temple Ritual"
- R. J. Demaree "A Letter of Reproach"
- P. F. Dorman "Creation on the Potter's Wheel at the Eastern Horizon of Heaven"
- G. Englund "The Border and the Yonder Side"
- R. B. Finnestad "Enjoying the Pleasures of Sensation: Reflections on a Significant Feature of Egyptian Religion"
- J. L. Foster "Some Comments on Khety's Instruction for Little Pepi on His Way to School (Satire on the Trades)"
- P. J. Frandsen "On Fear of Death and the Three bwts Connected with Hathor"
- H. Goedicke "Two Inlaid Inscriptions of the Earliest Middle Kingdom"
- S. I. Groll "Historical Background to the Exodus: Papyrus Anastasi VIII"
- J. E. Harris "The Mummy of Amenhotep III"
- Z. Hawass "Fragmentary Quartzite Female Hand Found in Abou-Rawash"
- H. Jacquet-Gordon "Two Stelae of King Seqenenre Djehuty-aa of the Seventeenth Dynasty"
- J. J. Janssen "A Marital Title from the New Kingdom"
- R. Jasnow "Remarks on Continuity in Egyptian Literary Tradition"
- J. H. Johnson "Ethnic Considerations in Persian Period Egypt"
- W. R. Johnson "The nfrw-Collar Reconsidered"
- K. A. Kitchen "The Wealth of Amun of Thebes under Ramesses II"
- R. Krauss "Wie jung ist die memphitische Philosophie auf dem Shabaqo-Stein?"
- B. S. Lesko "'Listening' to the Ancient Egyptian Woman: Letters, Testimonials, and Other Expressions of Self"
- L. H. Lesko "Some Further Thoughts on Chapter 162 of the Book of the Dead"
- T. J. Logan "Royal Iconography of Dynasty 0"
- J. G. Manning "The Auction of Pharaoh"
- P. Der Manuelian "Semi-Literacy in Egypt: Some Erasures from the Amarna Period"
- N. B. Millet "Vinegar at Deir el-Medina"
- W. J. Murnane "Observations on Pre-Amarna Theology during the Earliest Reign of Amenhotep IV"
- J. Osing "Zum Kultbildritual in Abydos"
- P. A. Piccione "Sportive Fencing as a Ritual for Destroying the Enemies of Horus"
- R. K. Ritner "An Oblique Reference to the Expelled High Priest Osorkon?"
- A. M. Roth "The Ahhotep Coffins: The Archaeology of an Egyptological Reconstruction"
- D. P. Silverman "A Litany from the Eighteenth Dynasty Tomb of Merneith"
- W. K. Simpson "Nag-ed-Deir Papyri"
- M. J. Smith "O. Hess = O. Naville = O. BM 50601: An Elusive Text Relocated"
- E. Teeter "Celibacy and Adoption among God's Wives of Amun and Singers in the Temple of Amun: A Re-examination of the Evidence"
- C. C. Van Siclen III "New Kingdom Temples at Elkab"
- T. G. Wilfong "Menstrual Synchrony and the 'Place of Women' in Ancient Egypt (OIM 13512)"
- B. B. Williams "Serra East and the Mission of the Middle Kingdom Fortresses in Nubia"
- F. J. Yurco "End of the Late Bronze Age and Other Crisis Periods: A Volcanic Cause?"
Revised: October 9, 2013