2015 Jeff Metcalf Intern - Biblical Emphasis Self-Guided Tour Development
The Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago | CCC Job ID# 53452
Deadline: April 30, 2015
Open to all current UChicago undergraduate students
Reports to: Head of Public Education and Outreach and Museum Chief Curator
- Commitment for the summer term with a commitment of 20-30 hours per week of service, with days and times to be scheduled in consultation with supervisor.
- The Oriental Institute requires an intern during the summer term to assist with a project to create a self-guided tour for Museum highlight objects that relate to the Biblical World. The OI has an existing draft document with text and images that were compiled by our docents, yet this document requires some editing, revision, and updating followed by a faculty-review process.
- We require an enthusiastic intern who is able to help us develop a self-guided tour guide for the biblical related highlights objects in our collection. Turn this draft document into one that can be used by visitors as well as by our docents in the galleries, in order to develop special tours. This will require additional writing that includes an introduction, timeline, themes and provides context between the various artifacts in the galleries.
- The candidate must be able to research independently, and will be required to utilize the Research Archive (OI Library) and other University of Chicago library resources to carry out the necessary editing, reviewing and rewriting.
- The candidate will need to be able to communicate and meet with individual researchers and faculty, and other specialists to review specific texts for accuracy and relevance.
- Research, write, and edit tour copy.
- We require a candidate who can communicate well in writing.
- We require candidates with working knowledge of either Biblical Studies or Biblical Archaeology, preferably with a wider knowledge and awareness of Ancient Near Eastern Studies, including history, literature, and/or languages.
- Computer literacy with working knowledge of MS Office software required.
Submit resume, cover letter, a short writing sample and three references to Chicago Career Connections (CCC).