Works collaboratively with Education Department staff by assisting at a variety of different programs held throughout the year engaging diverse audiences, from children’s activities, family programs, academic symposiums, members lectures and tours and other programs.
Public Program Volunteers…
- Engage with the public - Greet people and welcome them at registration and check-in
- Help with set up and clean up at events, such as setting up chairs, tables, materials, etc.
- Assist with guiding people to activities
- Answer questions about the Oriental Institute, it’s history and research
- Serve as Ambassadors to the Oriental Institute
- Complete initial orientation training session to learn about the Oriental Institute’s mission, museum collection, policies and procedures, and learn best practices for working with the public
- Complete assigned readings on the Oriental Institute’s history, mission and research
- Submit on-line application
- Participate in an on-site interview
- Complete background check
- Email and web access required – will use web-based volunteer scheduling software Volgistics to schedule volunteer shifts and record hours worked
- Have a positive attitude and adhere to the Oriental Institute policies, procedures and guest-service standards.
- Varies based on programs, see descriptions listed upon sign up
- Participate at eight special programs a year
- Volunteers are highly encouraged to attend the monthly business meetings and on-going docent training. These training opportunities keep your knowledge up-to-date regarding the Oriental Institute projects and on-going digs. This will help you feel confident in answering visitors’ questions and provide excellent public service.