Tom Van Eynde: Thebes Photographic Project
Small Temple of Amun at Medinet Habu, view looking from the south. In the
foreground are the remains of a gateway of a wall that once surrounded this
structure. Originally built by Queen Hatshepsut (ca. 1503-1483 B.C.), this
small temple was redesigned and rebuilt under King Tuthmosis III (ca.
1504-1450 B.C.). The temple was located on the spot that, according to
Egyptian mythology, was the burial place of the Ogdoad of Thebes. They were
the eight souls (ba's) of the primeval gods of Thebes led by Amun).
The cult of this temple was closely related to that of the Temple of Amun at
Luxor. Every ten days the statue of Amun-ka-mutef came to this sanctuary
from Luxor, so that the living Amun might unite with his deceased
counterpart who resided here. Later, Ramesses III (ca. 1182 B.C.)
incorporated this structure into the great enclosure of his mortuary temple. (Caption - Peter Piccione)
All the photographs were made with a Fujica G617 Panorama Camera. The film is TriX. The prints are made on llford Mulitgrade Fiber base paper. The original prints are 7"x22" on 10"x24" paper.
RETURN TO IMAGE MENU
RETURN TO SITE MENU