Tom Van Eynde: Thebes Photographic Project



The Mortuary Temple of Ramesses II (c. 1279 B.C.) at Gurna (the Ramesseum). This view is of the rear part of the temple, looking obliquely along the axis from rear to front of the structure. The vacant section on the right with missing columns and rubble marks the temple's sanctuary, now completely destroyed. The hypostyle hall is still fairly intact (shown center), fronted by a columned courtyard with tall osiriform statues of Ramesses II (shown left in the distance). The temple was surrounded by a vast complex of offices, storehouses, workshops, a palace and a school. For a time in the New Kingdom, this complex was the administrative center of Western Thebes. (Caption - Peter Piccione)


All the photographs were made with a Fujica G617 Panorama Camera. The film is TriX. The prints are made on llford Mulitgrade Fiber base paper, toned with Kodak Rapid Selenium toner. The original prints are 7"x22" on 10"x24" paper.


RETURN TO IMAGE MENU

RETURN TO SITE MENU