Tom Van Eynde: Thebes Photographic Project



The Temple of Amun at Luxor, view from the northwest: pylon and main entrance (24 m. high x 65 m. long) Dedicated to the ithyphallic form of the god (specifically named Amun-ka-mutef), the temple was built primarily by Amenhotep III (c. 1386 B.C.) and Ramesses II (c. 1279 B.C.) on the site of an earlier sanctuary. Its name was "The Southern Opet" (opet, "secluded place"), and its cult was closely related to that of the small temple at Medinet Habu across the river; every ten days the statue of Amun-ka-mutef journeyed across the Nile to reside at Medinet Habu. The Temple of Luxor was also the focus of the annual Festival of Opet, which celebrated the birth of the ka of Amun and of the king (the god and the king were believed to share the same ka). Here the statues and boats of Amun, Mut and Khonsu processed from Karnak to Luxor Temple amid great celebrations, residing there for ten days before returning to Karnak. (Caption - Peter Piccione)


All the photographs were made with a Fujica G617 Panorama Camera. The film is TriX. The prints are made on llford Mulitgrade Fiber base paper, toned with Kodak Rapid Selenium toner. The original prints are 7"x22" on 10"x24" paper.


RETURN TO IMAGE MENU

RETURN TO SITE MENU