Tom Van Eynde: Thebes Photographic Project
Sanctuary of Ptah and Meretseger. Eastward view of the rock-cut
sanctuary dating to the 12th century B.C. The form of Ptah worshipped here was
"Ptah of the Valley of the Queens," a protector of the tombs in that valley.
Meretseger, ("She who Loves Silence"), was the protective goddess of all
Western Thebes in the New Kingdom. This sanctuary is located south of the
workmen's village of Deir el-Medina on the path to the Valley of the Queens.
It was dedicated primarily by King Ramesses III (c. 1182 B.C.) and contains
seven rock-cut chapels inscribed with stelae and texts. (Caption - Peter Piccione)
All the photographs were made with a Fujica G617 Panorama Camera. The film is TriX. The prints are made on llford Mulitgrade Fiber base paper, toned with Kodak Rapid Selenium toner. The original prints are 7"x22" on 10"x24" paper.
RETURN TO IMAGE MENU
RETURN TO SITE MENU