Tom Van Eynde: Thebes Photographic Project



Malqata, Birket Habu Levees. The view from the southwest shows the sand and earthen levees (up to 14 m. high). Toward the end of his reign, King Amenhotep III (c. 1386-1349 B.C.) built a great palace complex located at the desert-edge in Western Thebes (now 1 km. south of Medinet Habu). The palace was fronted by a giant T-shaped harbor (2.4 km. long, 1 km. wide) which connected to the Nile River by canal. The artificial basin of that harbor was formed by a series of levees (shown here) that were heaped up from the excavations of the basin. Today, the basin and canal are covered by cultivation. (Caption - Peter Piccione)


All the photographs were made with a Fujica G617 Panorama Camera. The film is TriX. The prints are made on llford Mulitgrade Fiber base paper, toned with Kodak Rapid Selenium toner. The original prints are 7"x22" on 10"x24" paper.


RETURN TO IMAGE MENU

RETURN TO SITE MENU