ON THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO CAMPUS
Click on the image to download the panoramic movie.
The Oriental Institute
The Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago is located at 1155 East 58th Street, in the Hyde Park neighborhood on the south side of Chicago. The building which was opened in 1931 houses the Institutes' faculty and staff offices, archaeological research laboratories, the Oriental Institute Museum and administraive offices of the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations of the University of Chicago.
The building was designed by Mayers, Murray and Phillip of New York. The three story stone and concrete building is sheathed in limestone. Exterior plaques near the roof line bear decorative motives from the ancient Near East. A major renovation of the building was commenced in 1996.
Revised: February 19, 2007