1994-95 ANNUAL REPORT
Thomas A. Holland
The Editorial and Sales Offices enjoyed another busy year. The Editorial Office guided eleven books either into or through press, began work on another, and received four additional titles that were approved for publication. The Sales Office processed orders for and shipped over one-hundred and twenty-thousand dollars in books. The offices were staffed by Thomas A. Holland, Publications Coordinator; Thomas G. Urban, Senior Editor; and Christopher G. B. Kahrl, Sales Manager.
Five manuscripts were sent to press as postscript files (all were prepared in PageMaker, except Corcoran's which was prepared in Microsoft Word): Corcoran's Portrait Mummies ; the Epigraphic Survey's Registry of the Photographic Archives ; Hoffner's and Güterbock's Hittite Dictionary ; Maynard's Letters from Turkey ; and the Annual Report for 1993/94, which was prepared for the Membership and Development Office, for which Tom Urban also continued to prepare News & Notes .
In addition to his editorial and computer work, Tom Urban worked with Lloyd Anderson of Ecological Linguistics to develop two new Times-based fonts, AssyrianDictionary and HittiteDictionary. At present the two fonts are available only in the roman face, but all four faces should be completed before the end of the next fiscal year. The AssyrianDictionary font is already being used by Edythe Seltzer to enter the P Volume of the Assyrian Dictionary into a Macintosh computer. Tests are being conducted to be sure that Eisenbrauns can use the electronic dictionary files to prepare the manuscript for printing. The HittiteDictionary font was used in fascicle 2 of the Hittite Dictionary, which is in press. It is hoped that the fonts HittiteDictionary and Greek Times will be the only fonts used in the Hittite Dictionary in the future. Tom also began work on a font to be used for the final formatting of the Demotic Dictionary.
Christopher Kahrl aggressively marketed our publications. He sold over four thousand dollars in books at the American Academy of Religion/Society of Biblical Literature meetings held in Chicago during November 1995. Through Scholars Choice, he also sent several of our titles to the meetings of the Society of Egyptologists and the American Research Center in Egypt. Christopher is also working on a new catalog of our books-in-print.
- The Assyrian Dictionary of the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago , Volume 5, G. Edited by Erica Reiner et al. Reprinted.
- The Assyrian Dictionary of the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago , Volume 6, Ó. Edited by Erica Reiner et al. Reprinted.
- The Assyrian Dictionary of the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago , Volume 13, Q. Edited by Erica Reiner et al. Reprinted.
- The Assyrian Dictionary of the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago , Volume 17, Í, part 3. Edited by Erica Reiner et al.
- Ayla: Art and Industry in the Islamic Port of Aqaba . D. Whitcomb. OIMP.
- Letters from Turkey 1939-1946 . Georgianna M. Maynard. OISP.
- The Registry of the Photographic Archives of the Epigraphic Survey . The Epigraphic Survey. With plates from Key Plans Showing Locations of Theban Temple Decorations . H. H. Nelson. OIC 27.
- Reliefs and Inscriptions at Luxor Temple, Volume 1: The Festival Procession of Opet in the Colonnade Hall . The Epigraphic Survey. Portfolio with booklet and oversize unbound plates. OIP 112.
In addition to the above publications, four other volumes were sent to press or were in preparation, as follows:
- Chogha Mish I: The First Five Seasons of Excavations 1961-1971 . P. P. Delougaz and H. J. Kantor (A. Alizadeh, ed.). OIP 101. In Preparation.
- The Hittite Dictionary of the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago. Volume P, fascicle 2 (para¢ to pattar) . H. G. Güterbock and H. A. Hoffner, Jr., eds. In Press.
- The Mechanics of Ancient Egyptian Magical Practice . R. K. Ritner. SAOC 54. Second Printing. In Press.
- Portrait Mummies from Roman Egypt (I-IV Centuries A.D.) with a Catalog of Portrait Mummies in Egyptian Museums . L. H. Corcoran. SAOC 56. In Press.
The following four titles were accepted for publication:
- The Great Hypostyle Hall at Karnak: Les Architraves . V. Rondot. Joint publication of the series by the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago and the Institute of Egyptian Art and Archaeology, Memphis State University.
- The Oriental Institute Hawara Papyri: Demotic and Greek Texts from an Egyptian Family Archive in the Fayum (Fourth to Third Centuries B.C.) . G. R. Hughes and R. Jasnow.
- Perspectives on Hittite Civilization: Selected Writings of Hans Gustav Güterbock . H. A. Hoffner, Jr. and I. L. Diamond, eds.
- The Presentation of Maat: Ritual and Legitimacy in Ancient Egypt . E. Teeter.
Revised: February 7, 2007