1999-2000 ANNUAL REPORT
Thomas A. Holland
The staff of the Publications Office changed this year: Thomas Holland and Thomas Urban remained in the Editorial Office, but in the Sales Office, Christopher Kahrl left for Washington, dc, and was replaced by Robert Herbst, who formerly was a Production Controller at the University of Chicago Press. Also, we were fortunate to have the assistance of graduate students Simrit Dhesi and Blane Conklin, who helped move the publication process to a higher level. We thank Joan Curry, Kathleen Mineck, Thomas Dousa, François Gaudard, Steven Vinson, and Irv Diamond for their help; and, as usual, Jean Grant and John Larson provided invaluable assistance on a number of projects. Our effort, for most of the year, was spent preparing the Wente festschrift (SAOC 58) and Carol Meyer's report on the 1993 season at Bir Umm Fawakhir (OIC 28) for press and finishing work on the fascinating double volume on seals from the Persepolis Fortification Tablets, by Mark Garrison and Margaret Cool Root (OIP 117); we also continued preparing News & Notes and the Annual Report for press.
A special thank-you goes to Brenda Neff of United Graphics for providing technical assistance on how to set up our scanner and to use Adobe Photoshop to adjust scanned photographs for printing. We again took advantage of the Membership Office's two publications - News & Notes and (this) Annual Report - to test this new skill before we use it to publish in-house prepared halftones for titles in our series. For well over a year we have printed scanned line drawings; the new technique that we are testing is the printing of scanned photographs (halftones) at various resolutions and line screens.
Sales this year remained relatively consistent, with 1,703 books sold for sales totaling almost $110,000 (see chart).
- Assyrian Dictionary of the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago, Volume 14, R
- Assyrian Dictionary of the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago, Volume 15, S. Reprint
- Gold of Praise: Studies on Ancient Egypt in Honor of Edward F. Wente. E. Teeter and J. A. Larson, eds. SAOC 58
- Bir Umm Fawakhir Survey Project 1993: A Byzantine Gold-Mining Town in Egypt. C. Meyer, L. A. Heidorn, W. E. Kaegi, and T. Wilfong. OIC 28
Volumes in Preparation
- Seals on the Persepolis Fortification Tablets, Volme 1: Images of Heroic Encounter. M. B. Garrison and M. C. Root. OIP 117
- Scarabs, Scaraboids, Seals, and Seal Impressions from Medinet Habu. E. Teeter. OIP 118
- Theban Desert Road Survey, Volume 1: Rock Inscriptions of Gebel Tjauti, Part 1, and Wadi el-Huôl, Part 1. J. C. Darnell and D. Darnell. OIP 119
- Studies in the Archaeology of Israel and Neighboring Lands in Memory of Douglas L. Esse. Joint Publication of the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago and Scholars Press. S. Wolff, ed. SAOC 59
Manuscripts Accepted for Publication
- Demotic Egyptian Texts in the Brooklyn Museum of Art. Joint Publication of the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago and the Brooklyn Museum of Art. G. R. Hughes
- Excavations at the Prehistoric Mound of Chogha Bonut, Khuzestan, Iran: Seasons of 1976-1978 and 1996. A. Alizadeh
- Cuneiform Texts from the Ur III Period in the Oriental Institute, Volume 2: Drehem Administrative Documents from the Reign of Amar-Suena. M. Hilgert
- Neo-Babylonian Texts of the Oriental Institute Collection. D. Weisberg
- Early Urban Life in the Land of Anshan: Excavations at Tal-e Malyan in the Highlands of Iran. Joint Publication with the University of Pennsylvania Museum. W. M. Sumner
- On the Margin of the Euphrates: Settlement and Land Use at Tell es-Sweyhat and in the Upper Lake Tabqa Area, Syria. T. J. Wilkinson
Revised: February 7, 2007