Catherine J. Dueñas Bus Scholarship
Through the generosity of its donors, in honor of the volunteerism of Catherine J. Dueñas, the Oriental Institute is proud to offer a limited number of bus scholarships for field trips to the museum for Title 1 schools in the Chicago Public Schools system.
The scholarship covers up to $150 for the cost of bus rental, per school for a single school year. Please note that this scholarship may only be used for school bus rental; cash buses are ineligible for funding. The scholarships are awarded to schools that are classified as Title 1 by the CPS Office of Research, Evaluation and Accountability.
If you are awarded a scholarship you will receive instructions of how to book your field trip. We require a 30-day advance notice to schedule a tour. You are responsible for booking and initially paying for the bus. The check of the reimbursement can only be sent to schools, not bus companies. To receive the reimbursement, you must send an invoice on school letterhead for $150 along with your school's current W9 form.
Application Step-by-Step Procedures (Applicants MUST complete ALL items on this list):
- Complete the scholarship application form.
- Write a letter of intent on your school’s letterhead affirming that your school is a Title 1 school. In your letter, address how a field trip to the Oriental Institute meets your classroom learning objectives. All participating teachers and the school principal must sign this letter of intent.
- Include official documentation confirming that you are a Title 1 school. A copy of the first page of your school’s Illinois School Report Card is sufficient.
- Email the application, letter of intent, and student demographic documentation to: firstname.lastname@example.org In the subject line please include Bus Scholarship.
- Please allow ten business days from the time you submit your application to receive a decision. Notifications will be sent by email. If you have any questions please email email@example.com
- If you are awarded a scholarship you will receive instructions of how to book your field trip. We require a 30-day advance notice to schedule a tour. You are responsible for booking and initially paying for the bus. To receive reimbursement of $150, you are required to send an invoice on school letterhead for $150 along with your schools W9 form. Learn more about how to book a field trip >