The Oriental Institute has an exciting volunteer opportunity for you. Volunteers are an integral part of our team, serving as ambassadors to the public and furthering the mission of the Oriental Institute. Volunteering at the Oriental Institute is a fun way to make a difference in your community by providing a memorable and educational experience for our visitors. Whether you like to share your passion for ancient history with the public, inspire children through hands-on learning, assist with public programs, volunteer in the gift shop, or help with research projects, we are sure to find the perfect fit for you.
We look for commitment, positive energy, flexibility, great people skills, and an enthusiasm for life-long learning. Our volunteers come from all walks of life, many with little to no previous formal education on the subject of the ancient Near East. Volunteers must be 18 years or older to apply.
Become a Volunteer at the Oriental Institute
We conduct volunteer recruitment with interviews in an ongoing basis. Volunteers may join at any time. For volunteers interested in leading tours and becoming a docent, training is required.
Benefits of Becoming an Oriental Institute Volunteer
As an Oriental Institute Volunteer, you will have the opportunity to:
- Attend field trips to Chicago-area cultural institutions for your professional development
- Enjoy volunteer appreciation events, special programs, and ongoing training
- Network with national and international volunteer organizations
- Attend lectures by world-renowned scholars on the ancient Near East
- Attend special events at the Oriental Institute
- Receive preferred rate on non-credit continuing education courses offered through the Institute
- Enjoy a discount at The Suq gift shop
For more information about volunteering at the Oriental Institute, email firstname.lastname@example.org