The Yelda Khorsabad Court

View of the east end of the gallery, including the Human-Headed Winged Bull (lamassu) and neighboring palace courtyard reliefs, Palace of Sargon II (721–705 BC) at Khorsabad, excavated by the Oriental Institute between 1928–1935.

Bronze Hub and Bearings

On Display in the Khorsabad Court

A set of 8-spoke bronze wheels, discovered during the excavations of the Nabu Temple at Khorsabad, dated to the reign of Sargon II (721–705 BC). OIM A11811, A11813 (D. 020545).

On Display in the Khorsabad Court

Section of a bronze relief plaque that was once mounted on the wooden doors at the entranceway to the Shamash Temple at Khorsabad, dated to the reign of Sargon II (721–705 BC). OIM A12468 (P. 64399).

The Yelda Khorsabad Court recreates part of the interior of a palace courtyard of king Sargon II of Assyria (ca. 721–705 BC), dominated by the most spectacular object in the Mesopotamian collection — the 16-foot tall, 40-ton, human-headed winged bull (lamassu). The lamussu and the adjacent reliefs, which include images of king Sargon and his son, and later king, Sennacherib, were excavated by the Oriental Institute between 1928–1935 at Sargon’s capital city Dur-Sharrukin (modern Khorsabad). Other highlights are glazed bricks, embossed bronze bands, and statues of fertility gods from the Nabu temple.

Learn more about the history and characteristics of the Khorsabad Lamassu by downloading and reading the Lamassu Featured Object Text.